Generally, an applicant organization must be a tax exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organizationunder the Internal Revenue Code in order to be eligible. Alpha also requires a statement signed by the chief executive officer, chairman of the board, or other authorized representative of the organization that the recipient qualifies as a public charity before the funds are disbursed. Requests for major capital projects and endowments, as well as requests for administrative, program, or operating support, are eligible for consideration. Multi-year grant commitments will generally not be approved. Alpha does not make grants:
- To individuals;
- For tickets to charitable events or dinners;
- For conferences or seminars;
- To sponsor special events, productions, or performances;
- For legislative, lobbying, or other political purposes; or
- To retire accumulated debt.